Thursday, May 21, 2015

On the Video Yesterday...

I may be in the minority opinion here, but I was appalled by both sides presented in the documentary. Although I agree with the ALF's stance that animals should not be exploited or subjected to cruelty, I do not agree with the means the ALF uses to achieve their goals. The documentary glamorizes vandalism, arson, and harassment by equating their cause to the Boston Tea Party or Martin Luther King Jr.'s campaign. But what made MLK's activism so effective was that he preached nonviolence, and I do not believe that burning down buildings in the name of animal rights is anywhere near as noble as marching through Selma for the right to vote. And even if no one is physically harmed by their actions, they don't just get a free pass on being terrorists just because "it isn't as bad as flying an airplane into a building." I also find trying to counter animal violence with more violence is extremely hypocritical. After all, an eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind.

No comments:

Post a Comment