Wednesday, June 3, 2015

Reflection of Paper #4


I chose to write my fourth paper on Nigel Rothel's essay on "Zoos, The Academy and Captivity."
Prior to reading this piece, I wasn't aware of all the ambivalence people had towards them.  I haven't been to a zoo in a few years and every time I did go to one I thought of them as interesting and educating.  Zoos gave me a way to see exotic animals closely and give me an idea of how they live.  However according to Rothel's analysis of zoos, quite a few people are against zoos and their attempt to replicate an animals habitat.  Although I was leaning towards agreeing with Rothel's argument with zoos I found his approach to persuading the reader by opening up with a studying opposing his argument to be a poor choice.  He began by mentioning a study done by Ray L. Birdwhistell and how through his kiesics approach he failed to recognize the relationship through human interaction with elephants.  I think that in order to successfully persuade someone without questioning their opinion, one needs to use a strong source supporting your opinion instead of challenging it.  The challenging source should be briefly mentioned in the concluding paragraph.  Overall the paper did open my eyes to a different side to opinions on zoos which I found very intriguing and made me think differently about them.

1 comment:

  1. I also wrote my 4th paper on the Rothfel's essay, and I have to say I have to agree with you in saying that using contradictory sources makes his argument very unclear, which is why I came to the conclusion that there were so many different sources that all stood by different points so there could not be a clear argument period.

    However, one thing I did want to mention is towards the end of the essay, Rothfels points to the idea that the treatment of the animals in zoos by the trainers is what proves whether or not the animals are happy in those environments. After hearing that, I remember hearing a while back about how at Sea World there are several accounts of how poorly they would treat their animals, and more specifically, their killer whales. Upon further research I found this article going in depth on how poorly these killer whales are treated. I wonder if things like this are ever gonna change.

    http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2015/mar/28/seaworld-trainer-john-hargrove-killer-whale-treatment

    ReplyDelete